Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Writing a Family History

Lately I've been spending time researching and writing down my family history at my genealogy blog,  Relatively Speaking.  I've been recording my family history online for the past three years and researching my genealogy for many more.

I plan to write some posts on how to go about writing your family history in narrative form, so stay tuned. And someday, I plan to write historical fiction based on the lives of three particular ancestors who have fascinating stories to tell.

But for now, I stick to writing pure fact. It's been therapeutic for me as of late, as I'm still grieving the loss of my Step-dad and have an intense longing for family who live far from me. Connecting with them, sharing oral histories and me writing them down, has done this heart good.

I'd be thrilled if you'd stop over to  Relatively Speaking. I have not only my own family history there, but genealogy tips, resources, and some articles, poems, etc. There's even some famous authors in my family tree - and I share some Christmas poems of one of them (John Greenleaf Whittier).


Have you ever considered writing or blogging about your family history?

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post. I have often thought of researching my family's history. There just has to be some characters in a family like mine (we need the excuse of 'that's just how our ancestors were' right?) I'll definitely wander over to your geneaology blog!

    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Adventures of the Heart. Be sure to check back for my responses to your comments. Be blessed!