Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Books of All Time

"All books are divisible into two classes, the books of the hour, and the books of all time." - John Ruskin

I think every author's dream is to write a timeless piece of work that would be enjoyed through the ages. Many authors (fiction and non-fiction, poets and preachers) have experienced this achievement:  Shakespeare, Dickens, Rossetti, Austen, Byron, MacDonald, Twain, Lewis, Hurnard,Tolkien,Spurgeon, and the list goes on.

There are some novels that I have read in recent years that I believe deserve to be kept on the shelves. So often in this day of faced paced publishing books go into the bookstores for a set time and often disappear. Unless they end up in a library, they have a limited audience to reach - the one contemporary to the time of publication.


I've read some glorious works of fiction that were so well written I wish they could fall into the ranks of those that would stay in the forefront so that people could enjoy them for years to come. So today I thought we could share some of our favorite novels that have been written in recent years that we would consider "books of all time".  I'd like to hear what they and what makes them timeless. I'll share my own in the comments area. I hope you'll chime in.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. Timeless books. As a reader of mostly historical fiction I realize that I read it because often the stories have qualities that transcend time. Even though the setting is in a previous era the story and message resonates with me.

    Julie Klassen's Lady of Milkweed Manor is one of these books. So profound, haunting even. Her other novels have a similar effect on me.

    Laura Frantz is another author who's historical novels reach into the depths of my emotions and engage me in the story so that I am there.

    Kathleen Kent's The Heretic's Daughter is another book that is so filled with history, yet prompts one to explore one's own motives that I think it might benefit any reader for years to come.

    When a story touches my emotions so deeply and engages my thoughts so completely I feel that the stories could be read for many years to come and reach others similarly.

    Please share some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, So good to see you back online and doing some free reading:) Kathleen's book sounds so good. Wish I'd snagged one and had her sign when I sat by her at the Ky book fair. I am reading an old classic, North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell. The beauty of the language is so profound. I can't remember if you've seen the film but it's definitely one you would fall in love with, I think. Thanks so much for the mention here. You are such a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carla -

    I enjoyed Julie Klassen's, "The Apothecary's Daughter." Kim Vogel Sawyer is another favorite historical writer. It's hard to narrow the list down.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Adventures of the Heart. Be sure to check back for my responses to your comments. Be blessed!