Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Talk About Writing


Late this afternoon I met two of my writer friends for a little girlfriend time. We talked about homeschool, books, movies, church, and our kids. We had eggnog, passed along some gently used clothing, shared books, and other girly stuff.

Our gracious hostess had also invited us over to use the hot tub - the outdoor hot tub.  I wasn't certain it would be possible to relax outdoors,  in Maine, in December, in the dark, in a bathing suit,  in 28 degree weather.  It took a little coaxing, yet I finally acquiesced having been convinced that if my Scandanavian ancesters found the habit benefical that I might also.  At least it wasn't snowing.


It was actually very nice getting into a 104 degree tub of bubbling water, especially since I've been dealing with a lot of back pain these days, not to mention my fibromyalgia.  Oh, just mentioned it, didn't I?  The warm water helped sooth my aches and pains away. When the 20 minute timer went off, we actually pushed it again making our delightful spa last a full 40 minutes.   By the time we were done we were roasting.  Wrapped in our robes, we didn't even notice the chilly Maine air as the icicles tried to form on our dripping hair.

Part of the enjoyment of our hot tub excursion was from the great conversation we had.  We could see our breath, you know.  But the warm bubbles danced around me and my friend, Groovy Old Lady, as we talked about our faith, family, and another favorite topic . . . writing.  We discussed the novels we are writing, characters, authors, resources, blogging, the publishing industry, etc.  Talk about rejuvination.  It doesn't get any better than that!


So, where is the most interesting place you've ever had a conversation about writing?

23 comments:

  1. Wow! That sounds like it was absolutely a blast! You're right, it wouldn't get much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me jealous! That sounds heavenly! I'm craving a hot tub and some writer friends right about now. Glad you had an enjoyable evening, Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla, thanks for stopping by my blog! I think your hot tub experience sounds simply luxurious!
    Good friends, good conversation, GREAT setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla,

    This sounds like a wonderful way to spend a snowy winter's day!!! How fun! You could start your own polar bear club :)

    Happy Wednesday,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla, Love the pic! Connecting with writing friends is one of His best gifts:) Glad you're feeling better, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was wonderful. Didn't mean to make you all jealous. Jen, no polar bear club for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll take the friends and leave the hot tub. :)

    This week, I'm meeting or talking with several friends. It's part of my R&R regimen. Maybe next week I'll get serious about editing.

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am jealous too! Not about the hot tub...just the opportunity to get together and talk about common interests with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my!!! I'm dripping with jealousy! This sounds absolutely wonderful. Now I need to find a friend with an outdoor tub ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have those kinds of conversations nearly enough, and never in a hot tub. :) I have a friend or two I get together with occasionally for writer talk, but mostly my writer talk happens on line. I'm thankful for all my on line writing friends, but being face to face is even more special. There's such an energy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, sounds loverly! The accompanying pic you posted is simply gorgeous. Who knew a hot tub could be gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds simply delightful! I wish I had friends nearby that I could talk writing with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really was a treat, especially talking with my writer friends. We were naturally drawn together before we knew we were writers. I do cherish my online writing friends so much as they (you) have made such a wonderful impact on my life. I wish you all could have been there!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, wanting to jump into a hot tub right now. Hummm... Where is the nearest one?

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Lynnette Labelle
    http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carla,
    It's so nice to meet you! Sounds like a great and toasty time:) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds great, Carla! My weirdest place for a writing conversation was in line at a shoe store. The woman in front of me was telling the clerk about her agent and her book. After she left, I said to the clerk: "That's a funny coincidence. I have an agent and a book too." We both laughed, and then talked about writing for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are one brave cookie! My first thought would be, "Why not cocoa and a fire, inside."

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great bunch of writing friends, sounds like a wonderful time. There's nothing like it, is there, sitting around and talking up the craft!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Check out at the shoe store, now that was an odd coincidence, Rosslyn.

    Southpaw, cocoa and a fire inside would have been my first preference, but it ended up being such a fun time. Exhilarating!

    Thanks everyone for hopping in this virtual hot tub with me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds so fun, Carla! I knew people can go in hot tubs when it's cold, but I hadn't thought too much about it really. Must've been exciting. What a relaxing time for you. :-)

    No weird places to talk about writing... yet. LOL Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love hot tubs - heck, I just love hot things: food, weather, water. It doesn't matter.

    My husband is from Denmark so he has those same Scandinavian roots. He likes it cold.

    The most interesting place I talked about writing might be Hamlet's castle. . .

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a blessing! I'd love to have the time to sit and dish about life with a good girlfriend. Sounds like some serious R&R!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Girlfriend time few and far between, but so good when we make the time to get together.

    I think Kim has us all beat talking about writing at Hamlet's Castle! That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Adventures of the Heart. Be sure to check back for my responses to your comments. Be blessed!