Thursday, April 7, 2011

Book Addiction Justified

Today I'm taking a turn around the Regency Era. I'm working on a proposal for a book series set in this delectable time period. I've already written the first chapters of the first novel of the series. And over the past few days have been inspired to plot one of the successive novels.  Today I received a box of books I ordered set in this period. I love it when books arrive in my mailbox - it feels like I'm receiving a gift, albiet to myself! I endeavor to enjoy all of the books I ordered for that sake alone, but they will also be of great use to me.


Georgette Heyer's Regency World by Jennifer Kloester is "The definitive guide for all fans of Georgette Heyer, Jane Austen, and the glittering Regency period" and will be of great use for my research. I also have been investigating Regency novels old and new for research material and inspiration. The Bluestocking on His Knee by Regina Scott (Zebra, 1999) and Mandy Goff's The Blackmailed Bride (Steeple Hill, 2011) struck my fancy.

Of course, I'm already well read in the Regencies of Ruth Axtell Morren, Catherine Palmer, Kaye Dacus, Julie Klassen, and others. Oh, and I would be remiss to neglect our dear Miss Austen. And as a side note, the not nearly enough Regency movies I am sure to watch over again for the umpteenth time.



To round off my book purchase, I bought a copy of Noah Lukeman's The Plot Thickens. As I am a firm believer that one should always continue growing in the craft of writing, whatever genre you choose.

What genre is your favorite? And what historical period to you enjoy most?
For me, you must already know that my favorite genre is fiction and I am smitten with the historical periods in range from the 17th through the 19th centuries.

13 comments:

  1. I'd have to say my favorite is Medeival! After that, historical (1800s) and biblical fiction come neck and neck for my second favorite to write. :-)

    ~ Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medievals are my first love with historicals---though I can't find any good ones anymore.

    My current historical obsession with writing is early Victorian/1851/Great Exhibition. So, yes, I'm writing off my movie ticket from going to see Jane Eyre last weekend, because it's set almost in "my" time period!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to have a thing for Medievals but didn't realize it until recently. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla, as a writer, I'm still trying to make up my mind. It has been really interesting to write three novels set, respectively, in 1826, 1856, and 1875. I've had a little taste of each part of nineteenth century America. Each has its enjoyable aspects to write about.

    As a reader, though, I don't think I can ever make up my mind! I love really great historical fiction so much that it's more about how vividly the author realizes it than which period it depicts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carla -

    Historicals captured my attention a few years ago, and they won't let me go. I'm not fond of ancient history, but anything from the Colonial period through the 1950's will keep the dollars flying out of my purse. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a contemporary gal - but if I had to pick a favorite historical era, I really like Biblical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love historical fiction, especially set in America in the 1800s and early 20th century. The novel I'm working on is set during the Great Depression, and the research is fascinating.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading biblication fiction, but am leaning towards depression era for a novel idea I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a contemporary gal, although I do enjoy occasional forays into historicals, mainly the mid 1800s. The more online writing friends I meet, however, the more I'm reading outside of my usual genre and era, eager to explore their work and support them. It's broadening my horizons and giving me an excuse to add to my already-too-high TBR pile. :)

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing like getting a new book in the mail, is there?! Makes me happy just thinking about it.

    I am definitely most intrigued by contemporary fiction and non-fiction -- memoir is my favorite. But I admit, I've loved a good historical novel in the past, too. So I guess I'm all over the map...as long as it's a good read, I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas to you indeed! I love to read fiction, but the era depends. I like the modern-day stuff, but I also like historical stuff. Hey, anything to take me away from reality for a while!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! Yes, papers are the never-ending organizational nightmare!!! An ongoing system helps, but mostly it's just staying on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah! Was scrolling down the page and saw TBB. Kind of a surreal surprise! =)

    Enjoy your jaunt through Regency-land. It's a place I love to linger in myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Adventures of the Heart. Be sure to check back for my responses to your comments. Be blessed!