Saturday, April 24, 2010

Reading is Refreshing

The last few weeks have been pretty tough for my family as we have awaited a battery of test results on my step-dad's recently diagnosed lung cancer. This week has been hard as he was admitted to the hospital, but even though that wasn't a good thing, it expedited us getting more information on him.  The actual diagnosis is stage 2 adenocarcinoma. I was there visiting with my son when the doctor came in to inform my parents. It was very sobering, to say the least, to hear this directly from the doctor. Because of my step-dad's many health problems (cardiac, diabetes, etc., etc.) he is not a candidate for surgery.  We haven't received his prognosis from the oncologist yet, but it isn't very optomistic.



Today was a beautiful day and I decided I just needed to get out and soak up a little of it
to help revive my own spirits.  We live down the road from a 9 mile lake so off I went, book in hand, to be refreshed in the tranquility of this setting. The mixture of the fresh air, sunshine, and a good regency romance was just what I needed.


Right now I'm reading Catherine Palmer's The Courteous Cad. And if you haven't had the priveledge of reading  any of her books you have been missing out.  This particular novel is weaving the two previous in this series with another of her regency series and is pure delight.  Books are such a sweet blessing, especially in times like these, when I need to be swept into another time and another place for a respite from the stressors of life.


11 comments:

  1. Carla, I'm so sorry to hear about your step-father's cancer. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    I'm glad you headed to the lake to read. Taking care of ourselves so we can be there for others is important.

    Please keep us updated so we know how to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla -

    I know from personal experience how a cancer diagnosis hits the family. May the Lord give you strength and peace through this time.

    Catherine Palmer's books are wonderful! I've read and recommended a couple of them.

    Blessings & prayers,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carla. I will pray that each of you receives the grace, peace and strength to walk the road the Lord has for you, while also praying for healing.

    Connecting with an author who makes me see the possibilities in my own writing, whose prose throws open the windows of my mind and lets in that breath of fresh creative air, is one of the most refreshing and renewing things I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla, I will pray for you and your family. My grandmother had lung cancer and I know what challenges are involved. May His grace and peace be upon you all.
    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you and your precious family, Carla. I can sense your love and concern for them in every word you write. Will be praying for each one of you now and in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry about your family's struggles. We've had a rash of health issues lately, and they are not easy to deal with. You're right about the need to get swept away to another time and place, and it's such a blessing when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carla, I'll pray for God's grace and peace for your family as you go through this difficult time.

    I've read some of Catherine Palmer's books, but it's been a while. I'll have to take a look at that series.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carla, thanks for directing me to your cute blog. Love all the information you offer for writers. I write non-fiction, but believe that many techniques are the same. I employ fiction techniques in my story telling.

    So sorry about your stepdad, those are very difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, Carla. Am so sorry to hear the unfavorable diagnosis. My heart goes out to him, you and your family. Please know I will be praying for you all. Have walked this particular road with a very good friend: actually, that road ended for her father last October. It's one of the toughest roads out there. MUCH leaning on the Lord. The 23rd Psalm has ALWAYS helped me in dealing with fear, uncertainty and pain.

    Please keep us updated.

    Even though this is quite unimportant in lieu of all you have going on, was dropping in to share that I had passed along a blog award to you. Visit my latest post: http://wemmicks-in-training.blogspot.com/2010/04/and-awards-go-tomommy-wemmick-huh.html
    Am so glad I dropped in to share this though so i could try to offer some encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear about your family's woes. We recently had a medical scare, too, although my husband's grandmother is (thankfully) recovering--albeit slowly. My thoughts are with you, and I'm glad you're able to find an escape in books, even for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine Palmer is one of my favorite Christian authors. Though I haven't read the book yes I know it will be good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Adventures of the Heart. Be sure to check back for my responses to your comments. Be blessed!