Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Collection of Writers Christmas Quotes



Merry Christmas to all my blogging friends!

I set up this Christmas collage and photographed it so it
could be used as a desktop background.  This is my gift to you.
  If you would like to have a copy of it click here.


Here are some writer's quotes about Christmas, from the pages of time.


Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.
Laura Ingalls Wilder, American Author (1867 – 1957)

To perceive Christmas through its wrapping becomes more difficult with every year.
E.B. White, American Writer (1891 – 1985)

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. 
Charles Dickens, English Novelist, (1812 – 1870)

Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart. 
Washington Irving, American Writer (1783 – 1859)

It comes every year and will go on forever. And along with Christmas belong the keepsakes and the customs. Those humble, everyday things a mother clings to, and ponders, like Mary in the secret spaces of her heart.
Marjorie Holmes, American Novelist (1910-2002)




The rooms were very still while the pages were softly turned and the winter sunshine crept in to touch the bright heads and serious faces with a Christmas greeting.
Louisa May Alcott, America Novelist (1832 – 1888)

The magi, as you know, were wise men - wonderfuly wise men who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents.
O. Henry, American Writer (1862 – 1910)

The only real blind person at Christmas-time is he who has not Christmas in his heart.
Helen Keller, American Author (1880 – 1968)

When we were children we were grateful to those who filled our stockings at Christmas time. Why are we not grateful to God for filling our stockings with legs?
G.K. Chesterton, English Writer (1874 – 1936)

Are you willing to believe that love is the strongest thing in the world - stronger than hate, stronger than evil, stronger than death - and that the blessed life which began in Bethlehem nineteen hundred years ago is the image and brightness of the Eternal Love? Then you can keep Christmas.
Henry Van Dyke, America Author (1852 – 1933)

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring - not even a mouse:
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there.
Clement C. Moore, American Author (1779 – 1863)

Though in my heart no Christmas glee,
Though my song-bird be dumb,
Jesus, it is enough for me
That thou art come.
George MacDonald, Scottish Writer (1824 – 1905)

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Teir old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American Poet (1807 – 1882)

Somehow, not only for Christmas,
But all the long year through,
The joy that you give to others,
Is the joy that comes back to you.
And the more you spend in blessing,
The poor and lonely and sad,
The more of your heart's possessing,
Returns to you glad.
John Greenleaf Whittier, American Poet (1807 – 1892)

Good news from heaven the angels bring,
Glad tidings to the earth they sing:
To us this day a child is given,
To crown us with the joy of heaven.
Martin Luther, Protestant Reformer & Hymn Writer (1483 – 1546)

Oh! lovely voices of the sky
Which hymned the Saviour's birth,
Are ye not singing still on high,
Ye that sang, "Peace on earth"?
Felicia Hemans, English Poet (1793 – 1835)

Love came down at Christmas;
Love all lovely, love divine;
Love was born at Christmas,
Stars and angels gave the sign.
Christina Rossetti, English Poet (1830 – 1894)





If your words about Christmas were to be quoted someday, what would you say?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Carla -

    I enjoy famous quotes. Helen Keller is a favorite of mine.

    Beautiful pic!

    Merry Christmas,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,
    Thank you! I just love famous quotes, too. Hellen Keller is also one of my favorites. One of her homes was in Wrentham, MA where I grew up, just a few miles from my house. So all of us grade school kids always got to learn a lot about her. Remarkable woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla, You are a first-class photographer as well as blogger:) I'd love the desktop background - lauran@tfon.com. It's so beautiful! I have several beloved books of quotes but many of these are new to me. Bless you, bless you, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Laura!
    My Mom's a photographer and I've been learning a few things from her. As for me, I just love to play! Brad surprised me with a new camera for my birthday in Nov. so I've been having fun. As a webmaster I have to pay for photos like that so I figured I'd just do my own. The lighting could have been better. I'm still playing with that. I used our SAD natural light to try to brighten it up. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You abound with creative talent, Carla. I love the background art you did as well. And what a great collection of quotes. I think one of my all time favourites is:

    "And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?" ~Dr. Seuss

    I'm not sure I could come with a profound statement all my own. I'll think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Kav! I love your quote from Dr. Seuss, quite profound really.

    I haven't come up with anything yet either, but it's something to think about for sure.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Adventures of the Heart. Be sure to check back for my responses to your comments. Be blessed!